From basic research discovering the causes of disease, through to evaluating novel ways of delivering care to the most vulnerable people in society, the Plymouth Institute of Health and Care Research (PIHR) is a thriving community that conducts adventurous world-leading research with the explicit purpose of improving the health and care of the populations we serve. At the heart of PIHR’s mission is a desire to solve the problems that really matter to people.
Our mission is to promote an interdisciplinary, inclusive enterprise with a real commitment to working across boundaries in order to meet the needs of the people of the South West and other rural, coastal, and deprived communities worldwide.
If you have a query about the institute or an idea for a collaboration please contact us via: PIHRSupport@plymouth.ac.uk
Cross faculty collaborations
Health research news
- Targeted ultrasound can change brain functions for up to an hour after intervention 12 September 2023
- University’s dental excellence earns recognition in the Times Higher Education Awards 2023 7 September 2023
- Research explores the long-term impact of wearing dentures 1 September 2023
- Study uncovers potential new source of genetic mutations that cause neurodegenerative disease 18 August 2023
- New policy research unit to improve dementia prevention, diagnosis and care 3 August 2023
Find out more about the areas in which we supervise postgraduate research at both doctoral and masters levels. Here we offer a flavour of potential topics for your own research project and who to contact to discuss your options.