Research and expertise
Find out about our internationally renowned research and expertise at the University of Plymouth
Search open access papers
Interdisciplinary Strategic Institutes
Our diverse research spans three Strategic Institutes. Collaborative endeavour in rich, natural environments drives solutions to global challenges.
Marine, maritime, education and innovation expertise integrate to train scientists, engineers, policymakers, artists, technicians and business.
Plymouth Institute of Health and Care Research
Transformation in life course, ageing, methodologies, e-health, technology and interventions in health, social care, lifestyle, health and wellbeing.
Sustainable Earth Institute
Science, engineering, arts, humanities, health and business, with community, businesses and individuals, innovate to build resilience for our planet.
Creative contributions to research
Broadening, enhancing and underpinning the scope of our Strategic Institutes are active collaborations with researchers across the
arts, humanities and business.
- Researchers help to highlight the true scale of UK’s nature loss 27 September 2023
- University recognised for its work to inspire graduate enterprise and generate economic growth 27 September 2023
- Academic plays significant role in United Nations climate change report 26 September 2023
- Scientists continue work to establish the fate and impact of tyre wear particles in the environment 20 September 2023
- Rivers contain hidden sinks and sources of microplastics 20 September 2023
Upcoming academic and research events
- Centre for Mathematical Sciences Research Seminars 4 October 2023 15:00 - 16:00
- Fashion Show and Cream Tea 4 October 2023 14:00 - 17:30
- SEI Research Forum – Data Science and Environmental Intelligence 16 October 2023 13:30 - 15:30
- From dentistry to space: the pathway of evidence-informed research – Professor Mona Nasser 18 October 2023 18:00 - 20:30
- Anatomy of a disaster 19 October 2023 19:30 - 20:30