Types of KTP
It has changed the way that the management views automation and efficiency. In looking at our current processes more closely than before, we are seeing significant ways of reducing costs while improving reliability and profitability.”
Phil Partridge, Oakmount Control Systems Ltd.
- Opportunity to feed into Impact Case Studies
- New Research areas and opportunity for publications during and post KTP
- Case studies/ experience to bring back to teaching and learning
- Chance to work with other academics, top graduates and industrialists
- Opportunity for guest lectures
- Opportunity to develop student projects and/or student placements
- fEC full cost recovery
- Support of KTP team at every step of the process, including bid writing
- High chance of funding success
- New income streams giving a considerable ROI
- Competitive advantage through accelerated innovation and the possibility of creating Intellectual Property
- Access to academic expertise and knowledge
- Access to University facilities
- A high calibre graduate or post graduate working to deliver the KTP
- A new embedded capability
- New high skilled jobs created
- Opportunity to retain a highly skilled graduate post KTP
- Eligible businesses can apply for R and D tax credits
- Full support from the KTP team at every step
- Fast track and enhance your career prospects by leading and delivering a strategic project
- Earn a competitive salary
- Chance of continued employment upon completion of the KTP project
- Access top-class training and development in business management, entrepreneurship and leadership skills
- A dedicated budget and time allowance to available to support personal development activities
- Potentially register for a higher degree.
What makes a good KTP?
- Duration 12 to 36 months
- Cost c£30k+ pa for SME (33% contribution to total annual grant of £c90k pa)
- Cost c£45k+ pa for Large Enterprise (50% contribution to total annual grant of £c90k pa)
- Cost c£23k pa for Third Sector (25% contribution to total annual grant of £c90k pa)
- the business has the challenge
- the academic team has the knowledge and expertise
- the graduate delivers the project.
- At least 2 FTE but ideally 10+
- Actively generating turnover and profit with 2 or 3 years financial history
- If pre-revenue, evidence and supporting letter from the funding source is required
- Must evidence that can afford c£30k+ pa and implementation/exploitation costs
- On-site academic support visits at least 1 per month – academic support costed in at 10% or ½ day per week
- If large, must have a UK base and exploitation must remain in the UK
- Start-ups are not usually suitable KTP candidates
From KTP Programme Round 1 2023, Innovate UK will be supporting Management KTPs for the public sector e.g. NHS, BBC however Central Government is excluded. This will be available for the next 2 years.
Contact us with a business query.
Meet the KTP Team to discuss your project idea feasibility.
Work together to develop a funding application.
Together we’ll recruit a high calibre postgraduate. They will manage the KTP project and will be based at your business.
Start a one to three year project, supported by the KTP Team. You’ll have regular catch-ups with your academic, Innovate UK and senior contact in your business ensuring the project remains on track.
You will receive support throughout your KTP. Your business will then have the option to explore further University opportunities post-project through commercialisation and embedding.