Finance and funding for postgraduate students
Find out more about what funding options are available to you as a taught postgraduate student
Alumnus loyalty reward for postgraduate study
- A 20% discount on home tuition fees (10% for MSc Research Methods in Psychology, MSc/PgCert/PgDip Clinical Psychology, MSc/PgDip Psychology and MSc Occupational Therapy Pre-Registration, MSc Physiotherapy Pre-Registration).
- Or a £2,000 discount on international tuition fees.
Research degrees – money matters
Find out more about how to pay your tuition fees, studentships and student loans for postgraduate research students.
Supporting students with the cost of living
Postgraduate Masters Loans (PGML)
|When the programme started|| Maximum loan fee amount
|On or after 1 August 2022|| £11,836*
|On or after August 2023|| £12,167*
Am I eligible for a postgraduate master’s loan?
You can apply online for a Postgraduate Master’s Loan to Government website at www.gov.uk/masters-loan. Please remember to check your eligibility before applying.
- You will not be eligible for Postgraduate Master’s Loan if you have outstanding student loan arrears or have previously been found to be ‘unfit’ for student support (e.g. because of attempted fraud).
- You will not be eligible if you already have a Master’s (or qualification equivalent or higher) degree already.
- A Postgraduate Master’s Loan is not available to students wanting to ‘top-up’ a lower level qualification to a Master’s degree. The course must be a full standalone master’s course.
- You must register for the full 180 credits in order to receive the loan. Prior Accredited learning cannot be used to reduce the number of credits taken.
- Postgraduate Master’s Loans are not available for postgraduate level courses such as PgCert (Postgraduate Certificate), PgDip (Postgraduate Diploma) or where the postgraduate course is funded by undergraduate student finance, such as:
- ITT (Initial Teacher Training)
- Integrated Master’s
Further advice and information
How do I find out about my tuition fees?
For up-to-date tuition fee information and details on additional costs relating to your degree, check your programme page.
Funding for care leavers
If you're a care leaver there are lots of extra funding options to help you to pay for your studies.
Funding for disabled students
If you have a disability there are a number of disability-related financial support benefits you may be able to access subject to eligibility. The following links provide detailed information to support you:
The University has officially launched a number of new scholarships courtesy of its partnership with Santander Group.
The scholarships range from £200 to £5,000 and they include funding for research projects in the UK and overseas; language exchange programmes; funding for strategic sectors such as ocean renewable energy projects; and initiatives to promote volunteering and the development of employability skills.Visit the Santander scholarships pages for further information.
More information on programme scholarships can be found on our subject and course specific funding page.
- International relations
- Business and management.
Professoriate Scholarships of £1,000 are awarded to selected students undertaking postgraduate study in Plymouth Business School or the School of Law, Criminology and Government each year.
The opportunity to apply for a professoriate scholarship is available to applicants currently in receipt of an offer for postgraduate study.Find out more and how to apply
The Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Funding
This resource is recommended for anyone looking for alternative financial support towards funding postgraduate study. Current students can access by using their student email address and graduates or non-Plymouth students can also access the platform by typing in a PIN.
To access the platform, register with your email address and the following pin number if required: 8337. Once registered, you will be sent a password to gain full access.Find out more about the Alternative Guide
Further finance and funding information that could help you
Funding for Postgraduate study: https://www.gov.uk/funding-for-postgraduate-study
Student Finance England: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/student-finance/postgraduate-masters-loan
Government website for Postgraduate Master’s Loan: https://www.gov.uk/masters-loan
Student Loans Company: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/student-loans-company
Repaying your Postgraduate Master’s Loan back: https://www.gov.uk/repaying-your-student-loan
Postgraduate Doctoral Loan: https://www.gov.uk/doctoral-loan
Teacher Training (ITT, PGCE, SCITT): https://www.gov.uk/teacher-training-fundingSocial Work Bursary: https://www.gov.uk/social-work-bursaries
Postgraduate scholarships for international students
We offer scholarships for international students who wish to study postgraduate taught (PGT) degree programmes.Find out about the postgraduate scholarships available to you as an international student
Postgraduate international scholarships from the School of Psychology
International students who have met the conditions of their University of Plymouth offer of study will be eligible to receive the School of Psychology Postgraduate Platinum Scholarship to help towards the cost of tuition fees.